Chapter 3.0 The fundamentals of sound control
Summary of chapter 3.0
WHAT YOU JUST READ
- The goal of acoustic treatment is to correct or enhance the acoustics of a space in order to support its intended function and the comfort of its inhabitants.
- Designing for acoustics early in the design process can minimise costly treatments and compromises later.
- There are four main types of acoustic treatments: absorbers, blockers, maskers and diffusers.
- Acoustical rating systems define and rate the efficacy of different treatment materials.
Terms & Concepts
- Acoustic treatment
- Sound absorbers
- Sound blockers
- Sound maskers
- Sound diffusers
- Sound Transmission Class
- Noise Reduction Coefficient
- Sound Absorption Class
Acoustic treatments enable you to correct unwanted sound behaviours and shape the acoustic environment to serve your design goals.